Saturday, November 17, 2012


Wrong Side of the Road!
Driving on the wrong side of the road definitely changes the way you view life. On the base on Andros, sometimes I feel a tickle of panic as I suddenly pay attention to the road and not stop looking around at the passing greenery for golden crowned kinglets, bananaquits, and Cuban emeralds. It feels for a moment like the golf cart is careening out of control when we take a right turn, so wide! (so the opposite of the lefts!) But the wrong side of the road there is the right side. I can’t say much more than that in explanation because it’s like trying to understand daylight savings time to me! Life does seem to move at a slower pace (more of a golf cart speed) than it does back in St. Marys, at least on the base. Once you get off base on the island you immediately notice a lack of speed limit signs and stop signs but there the road conditions give you pause and cause you to slow down.
Meanwhile, back in St.Marys, I haven’t slowed down at all since returning Thursday. Driving my granddaughter, Kim to the pool for her swim meet today (on the right side of the road), I looked at the dash and saw the outside temperature was 55 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind made it feel even chillier. Since my return (to St. Marys) from the Bahamas I have yet to glimpse a patch of blue sky. And the Camden County High School swim team is swimming outside in the pool at Kings Bay. The security guard at the base gate laughed when I told him I’d just returned the Bahamas and the cold weather gave me a sinus head ache. Shock is what he said I was suffering from. Maybe I just need to get back to driving on the wrong side of the road.

1 comment:

  1. If you're driving that means you're heading in some direction and that means you have some type of motivation to get there - whether the direction is right or wrong is up to you to decide - if you're on the left side of the road, it definitely gives you a different perspective than if you're on the right. I would always hope we're on the right side to get where we're going. So many roads to travel and so many lanes to choose from.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!