Wednesday, November 7, 2012


Oxymoronics! (The word for today..)
So I was brainstorming (on SKYPE again) with my husband for some new topics to blog about and he suggested I write about oxymorons. Here’s how our conversation went:
[8:21 PM] A Mount: Or maybe something about oxymorons not really being stupid bovines.
[8:22 PM] Jo Mount: Ok. I don't get that.
[8:27 PM] A Mount: Oxen and Morons - oxy morons.
[8:23 PM] Jo Mount: Ahhhh.
I know that oxymorons are words with opposing meanings paired together like jumbo shrimp (an example that reminds me of Forest Gump who I am beginning to think I have more in common with than ever-just read my blog about daylight savings time and you will probably agree), but I was just having a little trouble figuring out how my husband was turning the term oxymoron into an oxymoron. Oh well, moooo-ving on. 
The whole idea of oxymorons got me thinking out loud because oxymorons are everywhere. As I was typing thinking out loud just now my mind jumped to the song Cum On Feel the Noize, by Quiet Riot, one of several bands with oxymoronic names like The Grateful Dead etc.
And here’s a few more, sometimes adult children, in a strangely familiar, way manage to act like buttheads. They would never seek advice, so if offered any constructive criticism all holy hell can sometimes break loose! That might be construed as just one more reason life often feels like controlled chaos. My life’s chaos probably contributes to the fact that I have been seen in public with my tee shirt on inside out or was that outside in?  
I think it’s time to heed the advice that less is more and just add one final oxymoron (the most recent one) before mooo-ving on. This weekend a couple of my grand children and I stopped in for some of Anatta’s Frozen Yogurt Bliss (in St. Marys by Aunt B’s) and Jonas misread a sign there that stated the business was owned and operated by a Combat Veteran. His brand new oxymoron elicited a chuckle from the girl behind the counter too. He read and said, “This business is owned and operated by a Combat Vegetarian? What’s that mean Grandma?”
Hence my word for today, oxymoronics!

1 comment:

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!