Tuesday, November 27, 2012


Teacher turned blogger!
First off, I retired from teaching after (almost) 30 years and decided to try my hand, two index fingers actually, at writing. Yes, I use a computer because it’s hard to hold a pen with two index fingers. And no, I don’t worry about typing because it’s not really typing these days, it’s called keyboarding and I manage well enough with two index fingers, spell check, and the green squigglies that let me know I've made a grammatical error that needs correcting. You might think I had a lot of writing practice as a teacher what with writing lesson plans and teaching the writing process and all, and I did, just not exactly the kind of practice I needed for what I considered serious writing! When I started out I conquered my first episode of writer’s block by writing sentences beginning with words from a list used in a game of Words with Friends. I then did what every fourth grade teacher wants her students to do with sentences using their spelling words. I put them together to make a story and it grew into a book, Play on words.
This brings me to a blog I write, similarly named, playonwords2012@blogspot.com , that provides me with the daily writing practice I need to continue to sharpen my skills as a serious writer. By the time this goes to press (if it goes to press) I will have created 50 posts about a range of topics chosen at whim during my travels to Andros (to spend time with my husband, Arnie) and back (home-St. Marys, Ga) with stops all over Florida and South Georgia to see our grandchildren in between. As I mentioned to the editor (of AUTEC’s monthly publication) when I considered submitting this article, my blog post about the Chickcharney (the critter-not the paper) has been my most frequently viewed post. It got even more views than my post about Whale Sex and I will admit that I was surprised by that. I must also tell the truth here and let you know that I don’t always tell the truth in my blog (Does this make me an oxymoron?). One example is a post I wrote about nudging a shark out of my way with my elbow while swimming at CCBeach, a lie that continues to grow more complicated to this day. I’m sure you know someone (like me) who can’t admit the truth once the lie has been told! However, I do occasionally wax poetic (Haiku) on serious topics, but mostly not, so if you’re on line and tired of looking at the same old news feeds feel free to check out my blog.                   
I guess if you're reading this you are!                                                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!