Tuesday, November 13, 2012


My Second Cup of Coffee
I woke up early this morning and for a change I even got out of bed, not my usual Bahama morning at all. Looking down at the right hand corner of this computer screen showed the time’s first digit had just changed to a 6. Since I had Blogger’s Block yesterday (along with a lovely walk on a windy beach and other distractors…) I figured I’d better pop out of bed and get busy. I fumbled around for my glasses and decided to forgo opening the blinds and turning on lights because after all it was barely dawn and a part of me hoped I’d get this finished quick so I could pop back into bed. This place isn't really dark (as dark as I like it for sleeping anyway) because the clock on the microwave and the coffee pot never sleep. There is a light outside the door that sneaks in the peephole and around the edges of the window blinds. Then there’s a little series of lights, very small but flickery, on the wireless thingy on my husband’s desk. There’s also a light on the surge protector but it’s behind the recliner so it’s not as noticeable as all the others. Combine all those little lights with the light of my laptop screen and I had enough light to start the day without stubbing my toe and I certainly had enough light to blog by!
I only needed one more thing to complete my morning routine so I could get down to the business at hand, this blog, and that was a nice hot cup of coffee. Fortunately my very considerate spouse always puts on a pot before he leaves for work and its smell was comforting (remember I was up far too early) and enticing all at the same time. So after I booted up this bad boy (my laptop), I got out the skim milk and vanilla creamer and turned my mug upright on the counter. Coffee in the morning is one thing I can do with my eyes closed (figure of speech here-my eyes were open, albeit barely, but open) and I sipped down half the cup standing at the counter. Arnie is so lucky I send him the good stuff in those care packages I send him once a month from home, I thought, quite a bit conceitedly, as I took the rest of the mug with me and set it beside me as I sat down to blog.
That’s when I noticed a couple of coffee grounds floating in what was left of my first cup of coffee. I hate it when the filter folds down and grounds escape into the brew but it happens. This was the first time here though because Arnie has coffee making down to a science. So I drank enough to see that there were no grounds at the bottom of the mug and that was when I became suspicious. I stuck my finger in the remaining dregs and captured what I thought was a coffee ground. It proved to be quite squishable. Morning light around the blinds and the realization that my coffee had something other than coffee grounds in it, dawned on me. I went back to the pot for my second cup. This time I turned on the light over the sink and turned over yesterday’s cereal bowl that had been inverted on a dish towel beside the sink to dry with my coffee mug. That’s when it became obvious that my first cup of coffee had sugar ants (like my cereal bowl), rather than coffee grounds.
My second cup of coffee (ground and ant free) confirmed it!

4 comments:

  1. Good way to get your protein in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had the same problem on the Ranger in the marine department. No matter what we did, we could never get rid of those little ants. They too were always around the coffee pot. I enjoy your daily blogs, keep them going. And happy belated Veterans day to Mr. Mount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear from you Tim. Hope all goes well in kwaja-land!!!!

      Delete
  3. Instead of having coffee creamer, you had insect-aside. Good news is they don't drink much and in a world of 90 billion relatives, they probably won't be missed. Perhaps we could use sugar ants to sweeten our disposition sometimes and they could be considered one of the perks of early morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!