Friday, November 2, 2012


Explosion in My Kitchen!
Got an email from my husband this morning in which he mentioned getting a ceramic owl out of a mold. He had poured it yesterday and one the day before too so, as he put it, he now has a nice pair of hooters. He also mentioned how his little sister, Cindy, who lost her battle with lung cancer, loved owls. Funny how memories of lost loved ones drift through our thoughts.
After reading my email I was taken for my morning walk by my good friends, my walking buddies. The best part of our walk (excluding their company) is starting out under the stars and then turning for the home stretch to greet the sunrise. It is beautiful, different, and inspiring every morning and a blessed way to start each day. Afterward some of us went for breakfast. It was over the breakfast table that memories of another lost loved one drifted through our conversation. “I miss that old lady,” was said softly with great affection by Jim about his mother-in-law, Miss Pat, a sentiment we all shared.
Back home I put some eggs on the stove to boil, grabbed another cup of coffee, and settled in with my computer to work on this blog. Shortly thereafter I heard a noise that was a cross between a firecracker and a balloon popping coming from my kitchen. As I ran up the hall I recognized an odor that I hadn’t smelled since I was in high school, the first (and only) time my parents went away and left my twin brother and me at home alone. Once again burned boiled eggs had blown the top right off the pot and I saw that I would be cleaning burnt egg off the ceiling! As I took the pot off the burner I just shook my head and smiled at the memory of what my mama used to yell as she rounded the corner from the hallway, “I smell something burning, Jo must be cooking!”
You never know what will spark memories in our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. I loved your mom and Miss Pat, too. They both had spunk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all most burnt our house down with some boil eggs.....

    ReplyDelete

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!