Friday, November 9, 2012


Drive Ins (not drive thrus or drive bys)
Remember them? The one we always went to had a playground in front (and below) the big screen so parents could sort of watch their kids while they watched a movie. There was always a cartoon before the full length feature film began. My twin brother and I had kid sized attention spans (today we might have been considered ADHD) but this was long before that label existed, so the cartoon was usually our favorite part. Our parents had these little folding camp stools that we could sit out on in front of the car. And it was better (for kids) if your parent’s car had 4 doors so you could get in and out without disturbing the speaker box that hung in the window. That way during the intermission when they played the song, let’s all go to the lobby, let’s all go to the lobby…and the popcorn tub, soda cup, and candy boxes with legs came dancing and singing across the big screen, you could jump back in and start begging for money to spend at the concession stand. We loved carrying a few coins (back then to us-big money) and going on independent ops to pick out candy. Sometimes a smuggled in bag of popcorn (popped on top of the stove in a pot with a lid) would magically appear and then we would just have to beg for some money for 7UP. (Even back then my parents knew we didn't need caffeine to keep us going!)
But my most vivid Drive In memory is of the time my parents took us to see The Mummy. I know I am dating myself but I am referring to The Mummy starring Boris Karloff. We started out at the playground and then as it got dark we sat out on our little camp stools. Before too far into the movie my twin and I were both screaming (and pounding on the car window) to be let back into the car where our parents sat laughing behind the locked doors. Pretty soon people in our row and the rows close by started honking their horns in complaint, adding to our ruckus. Finally, my Mom, wiping off tears of laughter, relented and unlocked a door so we could scramble back in. My parent’s laughter was contagious and after being admonished with, “It’s only a movie,” my brother and I ended up giggling (in hysteria!) too. We said we weren't afraid of no mummy but during the intermission we stayed in the car with Mom. Dad had to go to the lobby for the 7Ups and snacks by himself! 

1 comment:

  1. the First drive in movie I can remeber was west world staring Yul Brynner..... scared the crap outa me the last drive in I rember going to was finding nemo at the Playtime Drive-In - Jacksonville, Florida I think its still open... next time your here me an shannon will take you an lock you out of the car....

    ReplyDelete

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!