Saturday, November 10, 2012


Androsia-Patterns of Life on Andros
Bumping along an uneven, pocked, paved over crushed coral and limestone road I go. Looking out the bus window, the road’s shoulder drops off into swampy undergrowth. Occasional pines, snags, and causarinas spike up through the surrounding thick vegetation that seems to stretch as far as the eye can see. Occasionally sandy parallel tracks can be seen curving away from this road and into the mangroves and I wonder for a brief moment in passing where they might lead. Then as I turn my head to look out the back of the bus I see what trails, a bloom of dust obliterating where we came from, leaving me with only thoughts of what lies ahead.
The bus brakes screech as it slows and finally stops. The driver levers the door open and looks back to me, a signal that this is my stop. He nods and points down the unpaved side road and reminding me that he will come back this way on his return trip around 11. I thank him and in our separate ways we go, the bus on to Fresh Creek and me to Androsia. I start down the road as it cuts through the brush and my nose detects the scent of hot wax before the factory comes in to view.
Androsia, the batik fabric and batik clothing manufacturing factory itself isn’t air conditioned and sits up on its concrete block foundation. There are a couple of cars parked in the sandy turnabout in front and I can hear a radio and voices as I look into the big open end of the factory. A worker stands beside a bucket of hot wax stamping a fabric design. A young girl comes down the steps and we walk over to the “store” that sits kitty corner to the factory. Inside the A/C washes over me and I find myself among rows of Androsia creations, a colorful clothing line for men women and children and not just clothes but bolts of material, tablecloths, placemats, and napkins to name just a few, inspired by the brilliant colors and natural beauty of Andros Island, Bahamas. Each fabric pattern is hand stamped and unique and I finally settled on Happy Dolphins on a light aqua background. After a quick glance at my watch I gather up my purchases, signaling the end of the air conditioned break for my new young friend, and head for the register knowing that I need to get back down the road to catch the bus. As I board the bus for the ride back I just smile and continue to enjoy the many varied and beautiful patterns of life on Andros.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking me with you! The bus drivers could go to Daytona, couldn't they?

    ReplyDelete

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!