Friday, February 15, 2013


Things are looking up (at least I am)!
Heard about the giant asteroid due to pass closer to the Earth than some of the thousands of satellites orbiting us out there? Or about the meteorite that recently wreaked havoc in Russia breaking windows (and the sound barrier with a sonic boom), leaving a streak across the sky, and sending more than 100 people to the hospital with injuries due to flying glass and roof collapses? Well I am choosing not to feed my paranoia by skipping You Tube clips from Russia and avoiding the media hype about the asteroid.
Instead I did my stargazing with my husband as we walked along the beach on Andros last night. The night was clear and without civilization’s ambient night lighting we had a breathtaking view of many more stars than I see when I look up in St. Marys, including stars surrounding Orion’s belt, my go to constellation when I’m home either walking the dog or putting the trash can and recycling out by the street in the dark.
Of course the media provides us with numerous glimpses of stars out at occasions like the Emmys, Grammys, Oscars, and Golden Globes, and they try to illuminate our lives by acting like, well, stars. The actors and actresses pale in comparison to wonder and beauty of the stars in the night sky. I know I’m blessed when I get a chance to pause on a dark night, on a quiet stretch of beach with only the rhythm of the waves washing the shore, and look up at the stars. Holding my husband’s hand (much preferred over the handle on the trash can) keeps me balanced, so I stay grounded on the sand beneath our feet, under a sparkling star studded black velvet sky that’s just a glimpse of the infinite vastness of the universe, right where we belong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!