Sunday, February 3, 2013


FOMO
FOMO, or fear of missing out, simply put is a term that describes the addictive qualities of social media and I’m pretty sure I don’t have it. I am tiptoeing on this topic because this blog is a form of social media and I don’t want to sound hypocritical. I do find myself checking the blog views (in case I need to reply to comments) and Face Book (since I post a blog link there too) fairly frequently throughout the day. I am also on Skype every night and I check my email too. I don’t have an IPhone or an Android so I don’t do data on my phone or tweet but I text a lot and take phone photos. But then again I usually do make a stop at McD’s for the Wi-Fi when I travel and if I don’t have my computer, I have my trusty Kindle Fire ready and charged for the trip. So maybe I have a touch of FOMO now that I take all this into consideration. My main use for this computer is writing and I have several files and projects, either completed or in the works, including an EBook for Kindle on sale at Amazon (one more place I go to online pretty regularly). I also love to crochet… and I set up an Etsy Shop called ScarfAccessories with Pay Pal and everything for the express purpose of selling the crocheting online. That’s another place I check every day. So maybe I have a little more than a touch of FOMO. Well at least I don’t sleep with my phone like my grandkids do (in case of emergency, they say-or they have to have it on since they set their phone alarm to wake them up for school) so you’ll never see my face appear to float above the blankets, reflecting an eerie blue light in the middle of the night and you won’t find me on Face Book at all hours (even on school nights) either.
The standard meaning of FOMO (fear of missing out) may be alright for some people but for me I think FOMO should stand for found online more often….than (here is where you fill in the blank) –I want to be, -I need to be, or just found online more often …than not. You decide for you…and thanks for being FOMO than not, reading this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!