Saturday, February 2, 2013


Happy Groundhog Day
Groundhog Day is a day named for groundhogs, or woodchucks, whistle-pigs, or in some areas land-beavers. Those are some other names for the animal we call a groundhog on February 2nd. No matter what you call it, the groundhog is a rodent, a rodent that makes weather predictions based on whether or not he sees his shadow when he comes out of his burrow one day each year. Meteorology has come a long way since people began using groundhogs to predict whether spring is coming early or we are stuck with six more weeks of winter. I think the media goes overboard for both rodent prognosticators and TV weather people (especially on the Weather Channel). Most of the sources agree that the groundhog is more often incorrect in his predictions and I find that often to be the case with TV meteorologists too. Then there are politicians and scientists getting in on the hype with predictions of global warming.
Here are my feelings about the weather. It is cold outside today and I, personally, am ready for spring to come early. I figure when the dog days of summer hit I will have some regrets about wishing for this but that will be then and this is now. I saw my shadow today though so I am not sure what that means for the weather here in Southeast Georgia. I also took this photo with my phone this afternoon…spring onions, snow peas, and fresh eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!