Thursday, February 7, 2013


Gramophones to Grammys
First gramophones, when I think of them, I think antique. In my mind’s ear I hear a scratchy melody either classical or opera, and in my mind’s eye I see a wobbling turntable and a large tarnished tin horn mounted on a box. This visual is in black and white and dust motes are floating in the beams of light that somehow filters in through the gauzy curtains…or is that cigarette smoke? And don’t forget the RCA Victor dog listening attentively, head cocked. My dog Fred (who looks a bit like the RCA dog) would be howling to the music.
Fast forward to the Grammys, not to be confused with grandmothers, grandmas, or as I am sometimes called, g’mas, the Grammys will be on TV this week and they are awards shaped like little gramophones that are bestowed upon prominent artists in the music industry by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. This year marks the 55th anniversary of the awards. The first Grammy Awards ceremony was held on May 4, 1959 to honor the achievements in music of 1958. Henry Mancini won album of the year with The Music from Peter Gunn, and Domenico Modugno won best song and record of the year with Volare. There was no Best New Artist award at the first Grammys but the following year, the second annual ceremony, Grammy Award for Best New Artist went to Bobby Darin.
This year, LL Cool J, a two time Grammy Award winner will be hosting the award show for a second time.
Cue earworm: Call me maybe…I’m on a payphone…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!