Monday, February 25, 2013


Once more I am on the receiving end of another Random Act of Kindness
This year I pledged myself to committing 96 random acts of kindness, which I figured divided up to about two per week. In the January update I found myself behind in my plan by one act. Here February is almost over and once again I am short one but there are 10 more months left for 2013 so I have time to catch up. The important thing I have found is that figuring out when and where I can commit random acts of kindness requires a small shift in mindset for me. I have to think about kindness or opportunities pass me by. A couple of times I have realized this in hindsight. I think it may be because taking the time to be kind to a stranger is not the same as the everyday kindness we practice with friends and family. Committing an act of kindness for a stranger is also more than civility or tolerance, though both are good beginnings. One thing I can say about implementing my pledge is I am more aware than ever when I am a recipient of a random act of kindness so that’s what I am blogging about in these monthly updates.
Wednesdays are Spaghetti Nights at our house, and have been for years, but even though I put the meatballs and sauce on in the crockpot in the morning, (and I fill a pot of water for the pasta in the morning and set it on the stove too so all I have to do is turn on the burner at the last minute) I still find myself rushing as the day goes on to get the weekly meal event coordinated. At a minimum of at least one Wednesday each month I rush out to Hilliard to pick up two grandsons (got to be there by 4pm) so they can enjoy the family time with us too. I also drop off a child support money order which I purchase each time (yes, at the last minute) at the Flash Foods on Hwy 40 on my way out of town. Since it takes me 45 minutes to get to Hilliard I always find myself at the Flash at dismissal time for the St. Marys Middle School, along with lots of busy traffic, waiting in a line in the store, and being flagged down by another grandson and his buddies for a quick side tracking trip home (just under the 1.8 mile distance that would make them eligible for the school bus). And there is always a cop parked in front of the Flash which seemed to trigger a neon guilty sign on my forehead as I tried giving a friendly little wave while making sure my blinker was on etc. as I was distracted by a random worry over whether or not my driver’s license is in my purse. Since I was in the strip mall parking lot I figured at best I didn’t have to worry about speeding. With three teenaged boys (one a major backseat driver, one turning up the radio, and all talking at the same time) in my car, I began to cautiously back out of my parking space in front of the store, thinking about the left hand turn I would be making during a peak traffic time, and the cars pulling in and out from the gas pumps, the kids getting a snack after school (pedestrians), and the cop, when I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a smiling face straddling his bicycle (I reflected later on the fact that he doesn't drive) waving his arms and nodding like an airport worker with those red flashlights backing out a 747 from the gate, clearly giving me the signals to get me out of there safely. I know this act of kindness was random because I saw the dawn of recognition make this man’s smile grow even larger as he realized I was someone he knew when I shouted my thanks to him from my open car window. Despite the fact that I drive like an old lady, I made it to Hilliard on time (with a lead foot) to pick up the boys and get back in time to turn on the water to boil for my favorite meal of the week.  Once again I had the gift of time to spend enjoying family and friends…… and garlic bread, with the help of a random act of kindness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!