Sunday, November 24, 2013

Oil, Emu versus Turkey

A friend gave my husband some emu oil to massage on his achy arthritic joints so I figured I’d look up some info on it. Let me qualify this one thing about the emu oil, actual emu oil was not very high on the ingredient list in 100% Emu Oil by Thunder Ridge Emu Products. Anyway some people swear by emu oil for its rejuvenating anti-inflammatory properties since on the bottle it suggests ‘intensive pain relief.’ Some people ingest it though the stuff given to my husband warns against it, for that product anyway. The jury (my husband in this case) is still out on the benefits of emu oil. The emu is a pretty big bird as is the turkey so I figure they would both render a good bit of oil. 
Now for turkey oil, my search brought up production of oil in Turkey but that wasn't the turkey oil I was looking for. I was thinking more along the lines of the oil that the Thanksgiving turkey floats in in the roasting pan. I don’t eat it as an entrée but it helps make good gravy for the mashed potatoes and if your turkey isn't too dry, I figure it is a big part of what keeps it moist and delicious. I also came across lots of different oils for frying turkeys and the fryers. We did deep fry a turkey once and the same set up (with water and Old Bay seasoning instead of cooking oil) makes for a really good low country boil. I have also seen an advertisement for a candle that smells like fried chicken so perhaps a fried turkey candle isn't far behind. On the other hand, I have set the timer on my oven and cooked the bird overnight before (to make room in the oven for the ham and other Thanksgiving feast parts that require oven space) and I doubt any candle could hold a candle to the aroma we awakened to in the morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!