Saturday, November 23, 2013

Eating Tofurkey with a Spork
I’m in a portmanteau kind of mood with this year having Thanksgivukkah in it, since the first day of Hanukkah falls on Thanksgiving Day. A portmanteau is a fusion of two words and their meanings, not to be confusioned with compound words, to make a new word, like Thanksgivukkah. Spork, of course, is also a portmanteau, the KFC’s famous dining utensil and combination of spoon and fork, with tiny tines for stabbing at the edge of the spoon section for scooping. Tofurkey is the vegetarian portmanteau for a faux turkey, with all the seasonings of the traditional bird but none of the actual animal product. Instead tofurkey is made up mostly of tofu. This year Black Friday seems to be moving to Thanksgiving Day Thursday so I've been thinking we might just need  another portmanteau for this. I might start call Thanksgiving Day Grey Thursday this year since so many retailers are staying open and then after midnight Grey Thursday fades to Black Friday. Not exactly a portmanteau, but I welcome any suggestions.

I’I've never tried tofurkey before either but this year I just might put it to the test alongside the traditional turkey turkey. And I may opt for foam plates too but sporks are definitely out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!