Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Gorilla by Bruno Mars?

I’m not sure why but I took offense at the lyrics for Gorilla by Bruno Mars from the first time I heard it on the radio. Maybe Bruno himself looks wrong for the part in my mind’s eye and I am not planning on watching the video so that won’t change, I can’t see the thirty feet tall part. It was probably that I understood some of the lyrics because I usually don’t, yet I already knew that sex takes Bruno to paradise, so why not gorilla sex too? I did like his song Treasure so I looked up those lyrics and I've decided maybe I have been listening to the I Heart Radio sanitized version because I don’t remember it beginning with-Baby squirrel, you’s a sexy m***f***. After that line the rest of the song doesn't seem so offensive and it has a throwback kind of vibe that appeals to me. The thing about gorillas’ (the primate variety found in the wild) sexual preferences is that gorilla social groups usually contain just one sexually active male and several females. This is not mentioned in the song of course, but could be implied. Evolutionarily speaking, humans are closer (by a few million years) to chimps and chimps, researchers have found, are more into experimental sex. Within their groups several sexually active males breed with the group’s active females and vice versa. The chimps’ semen also coagulates into a plug in the female’s genital tract in order to increase the chances that a male will fertilize the female’s eggs. These same researchers then studied semen of humans, chimps, and gorillas for ACPP, an anticoagulating enzyme and found (to make a long story shorter) that gorillas regulate ACPP in the same way humans do, so maybe our lineage, in this regard at least, has reverted to a more gorilla like condition. Maybe Bruno is on to something.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!