Thursday, January 24, 2013


Photobombs Away! (and Homemade Zeppoli)
Photobombing is a verb that means to drop into a photo unexpectedly...to hop in a picture right before it is taken. My husband insists that it started with Alfred E. Neuman in Mad Magazine. Another friend informed me that you can photobomb videos too and he did just that on a visit to Universal Studios in Orlando. I think bunny ears are the original photobombs.  I challenged my spaghetti night family to photobomb each other while eating zeppoli.

Keep in mind, I resist all fried food as would be expected of a person my age and would be expected of a person as health conscious as I purport to be. That said zeppoli are fried and irresistible  I borrowed a deep iron skillet for the frying from friends as I my Fry Daddy has long been retired. Here is a rundown of the ingredients and costs involved in making these Italian delicacies at home: 4 pack of biscuits (pop ‘em out kind), $1.09 (I had a coupon!), 64 ounces of vegetable oil, $4.69, seedless raspberry all fruit (jam) $1.88, and a box of powdered sugar, $0.91. The paper towels to put the zepps on fresh from the frying pan I already keep in my kitchen. My sister has the chocolate chips for the alternate (instead of raspberry) dip that we got for $0.25 (the whole bag! Yes we hit the sale with perfect timing) and they are easily melted in the microwave. All this for a grand total of $8.82 and this will serve a bunch (160 little zeppoli if I turn each biscuit into 4 or 80 bigger ones if I cut each biscuit in half.) I only used half of the ingredients (and made 80 little ones that disappeared very quickly-best while still warm) so there will be plenty of Zeppoli for another day. The photo(bombs and all) tell the rest of the story.

2 comments:

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!