Thursday, January 3, 2013


1-blog about 3-13s
The Thirteenth Amendment completed the abolition of slavery in the United States, which had begun with President Abraham Lincoln issuing the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863. It was ratified in Georgia (the 27th state to ratify) on Dec. 6, 1865. Peonage, involuntary servitude, and forced labor were also addressed by the thirteenth amendment. I wonder if any Mother’s child can honestly say they feel like they haven’t been on the giving or receiving end of some of those despite the fact that we've been protected from them under the 13th amendment for a very long time. Why didn't I know all this about forced labor, Mom? Or did you know and just decided what I didn’t know wouldn't hurt me? (Rhetorical questions since my Mom passed away several years ago) I guess there’s just no constitutional protection for a sloppy room.
Thirteen bagels in a baker’s dozen, notice I chose bagels over donuts? My concession to eating healthier during the New Year? Not! My favorite asiago cheese bagel has 330 calories, and your average Krispy Kreme glazed donut has only 200. I just love bagels and I didn’t even include the calories in the cream cheese I love to slather on them either.
The third thirteen is the number 13, the one we associate with luck, usually bad luck. I am hoping that 2013 will be a luck changer, a lucky thirteen, or at least a Lean Mean Thirteen, (by Janet Evanovich) for me, filled with humor, good health, happiness, and adventure…. Maybe I need to rethink the bagels and add housework to my exercise routine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!