Sunday, January 19, 2014

Wonderful Wonderbag Update
Before
After
So my Wonderbag came via UPS this weekend and I couldn't wait to try it out despite my grandsons’ skepticism. They didn’t think the bag would keep the food hot without an electric power source but it did. I made my usual veggie and lentil soup recipe and put it in the bag pot and all at 10:30 am and by 6 pm we could wait no longer to see how the soup would come out. My sister had stopped by earlier and remarked that something smelled good, but I figured that was traces breakfast still in the air. But back to the Wonderbag, as I undid the drawstring and took off the top and let the sides down we all took a turn touching the sides of the soup pot and it was still too hot to just pick up! That seemed amazing to my incredulous crew but what was really amazing was how delicious the soup was. Over hot bowls of soup with toasted crusty bread for dipping we talked about how the Wonderbag that was donated to a family in Africa when we purchased ours would help people that didn’t have a reliable energy source since all that was needed was to boil the contents of your pot for 5 minutes and that could happen over a campfire or on a propane burner like the one we used for our low country boil. The Wonderbag is big enough to hold my spaghetti pot easily, though I used a slightly smaller stock pot for the soup, and keeps the food cooking and the flavors melding for up to 12 hours.

Our weekend began with the boys making French bread pizzas (for themselves-in the oven, not in the Wonderbag) and taking one to an elderly home bound neighbor. It was an abbreviated make your own pizza night since we didn’t make our own dough but after dropping off the meal (with a side of applesauce) my 13 year old grandson and I had a fist bump over his reflection that it felt pretty good to help someone out that we didn’t really know. I’m glad I had a part in that (driving the getaway car) and smiled to myself knowing that I just had a glimpse of the caring young man he will be someday. Sharing a meal, helping a family in a faraway country, helping my grands learn the intrinsic rewards of service to others, wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!