Saturday, January 25, 2014

Please Pass the Honey, Honey

Not sugar or high fructose corn syrup, because those two are at war over whether or not they are processed. It all boils down (literally) to corn syrup wanting to change its label to corn sugar and sugar objects. Mix this up with the fact that I have been looking at getting more ‘clean’ foods into my diet, therein lies the first problem for me. When looking at ingredients less is more according to the clean food devotees, especially to be avoided are foods with unpronounceable ingredients because these additives and preservatives signal a high degree of ‘processing’. I get that. So I did a little research on the processing of sugar and high fructose corn syrup and even though there is only one ingredient listed on the sugar bag, duh sugar and three, corn syrup, salt, and vanilla, on the corn syrup bottle, both items are highly processed. Most corn other products (there are a lot of them) are also and sugar in the raw isn't processed much less than any other sugar. Chemicals are involved in processing both. So the clean food devotees do mention eating food less processed, and more organic, and staying away from sugar and white flour items versus whole grain, and maybe this is what they mean. Eating healthy is becoming more and more complicated. That’s why I think I am going to stick with honey (especially on my less processed steel cut oats-oatmeal) since honey is locally and naturally processed by the bees in my neighborhood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!