Friday, May 24, 2013


Revetment
While reading about the 10 best beaches on MSN this morning and thinking about the trip to the beach on Andros that I am about to take this beautiful May morning, I came across my word for today, revetment. I like how this one (unlike others I've blogged on about) didn’t get a squiggly line under it. Even though to me it seemed like it should have been a misspelled word, the computer (portable brains) recognized it, and I decided to look it up. No, revetments aren't related to reventments, a word I just made up about feeling the need to vent about the same thing over and over again. Revetments are embankments, often made of masonry, that serve as blast barricades. War references abound about these revetments used during the Civil War, or as I've heard it called in South Georgia, the war of northern aggression, but that’s a topic for a different blog. The revetments I was reading about and mulling over in my mind are built (frequently man-made) to protect and even create beaches and one surrounds the turning basin, and subsequently the beach, here. The wall here protects the beach from eroding waves and you can see them as they pound the wall sending spray up and sometimes over. The result is a relatively smooth (sometimes like glass and sometimes choppy) shallows and beach. The water is so clear that even when I’m in up to my chin I can still see my tippy toes and snorkeling along the revetment is truly a treat. Seeing the variety of sea life that has taken up residence is never boring. This beach didn’t make it into MSN’s top ten but that’s ok because it is number one with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!