Monday, May 6, 2013


Random Acts of Kindness Update
Every time I write these updates I somehow find myself falling behind my own schedule of performing random acts of kindness and I always feel compelled to admit it. Despite this, it is my observation that there are random acts of kindness going on and in this post I intend to highlight the ripple effect that random acts of kindness (performed by others more consistent than I) have and my experiences as such. Anyway it’s been awhile since my last update and I have been the benefactor of multiple random acts, the latest one I will mention here occurred on Sunday. The day of the week is significant because I figure Sundays are probably pretty slow days for waitresses at the Wee Pub, yet a waitress there was very kind to me.
Because of the fact that the last three days, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, of continuous rain felt like 40 days and 40 nights to me, I finally felt compelled by the lack of clothesline drying sunshine (and a looming shortage of clean underwear) to take my washed clothes to the laundromat. Six minute dryer intervals cost 25 cents. I put a dollar in the change machine since I only had one quarter (and I knew 6 minutes wouldn't cut it) and nothing happened. The money went in but no quarters came out. I proceeded to push all manner of buttons on the machine and still nothing. The machine took the only one dollar bill I had. Disgustedly, I went out the door and saw a waitress cleaning the outside tables at Wee Pub and asked her if she had change that included quarters since the laundry change machine took my dollar. All I was left with was two twenties, a dime and two pennies. She had 4 quarters but not enough to make change for a twenty so she just gave me the quarters. Pretty nice gesture if you ask me, and I hope her kindness returns to her many times because I figure she can’t be making much in tips or wages on any given Sunday at a Wee Pub in St. Marys, (the deep south) Georgia. I had the presence of mind to ask her name as she went back to the tables and I went back to the laundry. Her name is Sarah and if you would like to return an act of kindness and you frequent the Wee Pub, I would ask you to give her a little extra when you tip. They have pretty good daily lunch specials there, and I plan to try the fish tacos and thank Sarah and repay her act of kindness later this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!