Wednesday, May 22, 2013


Pedal Pubs
Despite my innate dislike of driving (and I do a lot of it) I think it might be fun to be the designated pedaler for one of these Pedal Pubs. I've heard of other kinds of entrepreneurs peddling their wares. Consider bicycle driven ice cream sellers or hotdog vendors, and then there are people transporters, pedicabs, so why not Pedal Pubs? Pedal Pubs (a combo of both concepts plus alcoholic beverages) are bicycle like devices, basically pedal powered taverns that groups of like-minded pub crawlers can rent for the purpose of pedaling and imbibing as they amble along through a city bar district.  They look a bit like open air trolleys with seating for up to sixteen pedalers to face each other around the bar in the center. There are complications involved with registering and permitting these vehicles and they vary from place to place since there are no federal regulations set for Pedal Pubs. In some places there are hopes of allowing the pubs if they use a licensed designated driver. Open container laws came to my mind immediately and depending on how the vehicle is viewed, those laws, if applied, would put a definite damper on the business. A Pedal Pub wouldn't be much of a Pedal Pub without the pub aspect, if you ask me. Nevertheless, within the last few years, human-powered taverns have become fixtures in more than two-dozen U.S. cities, including San Diego; Nashville; Houston; Flagstaff, Ariz.; and Minneapolis, all places I have yet to visit.
Oh well, St. Marys is too small to have a bar or pub district so I’ll have to make plans to expand my travels if I ever expect to realize the opportunity to become a designated pedaler after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!