Friday, October 26, 2012


Which pets are more affordable, cats or dogs? (or why I’m sticking with fish!)
As I was checking out the headlines online I came across this one about pet affordability. I guessed correctly that dogs are more expensive to keep but surprisingly not by much. Both dogs and cats cost on average more than a thousand dollars per year to maintain. I guess the researcher didn't deduct the price of kitty litter since he probably didn't know my cat does his business exclusively outside. The other good thing about my cat is his ability to find his own food but that’s for another blog post. What I really wonder is why they didn't include fish in the comparison? Fish are inexpensive to purchase and if you don’t want to spend any money you can find “used” fish for free. If no one you know is giving their fish away you can go the wild fish route. For this all you need is a good rain, standing water in the ditch, and a grand kid with a net. Chances are though if upon close observation the ditch fish start to grow little legs they may not be fish at all!  But back to fish, some fish live happily in a bowl, my current pet is in a pickle jar, (How’s that for cheap?) and without a bubbler or filter and they don’t run up your power bill. Fish life spans are shorter than those of dogs and cats so that shortens your commitment to their care. Fish food is relatively inexpensive. One small container of fish food has lasted me through several fish, so food, for me at least, has been a onetime purchase. And another thing, fish are nice to watch and you never have to get them out a tree or take them for a walk. But be warned about teaching fish tricks. I had a fish that liked to jump for a little smidgen of liver sausage and I took great pleasure in showing off his fascinating penchant for table food until one morning I found him dried up on the floor beside his watery abode. Thank goodness my pickle jar fish is not a jumper!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!