Tuesday, October 23, 2012


The Gloves Are Off!
My fingers are on fire! And no, not from typing my political debate views on Face Book. (Although I will admit I am typing as I watch so I can post this early tomorrow morning.) One would think I would have learned my lesson last year. But oh how quickly I forgot and now my fingers are burning once again. This is the time of year when I get canning cravings. 14 jars of pepper jelly this afternoon with the last of the garden’s peppers (a break from the 20 jars of persimmon jam I put up the day before) have my fingers on fire. And yes, once again I read the part of the directions from inside the Sure Jell box that said wear gloves when seeding and chopping jalapeno peppers. I didn't wear any last year either and obviously I didn't learn my lesson then because my fingers are burning all over again. Pepper jelly is worth it though because the sweet/hot flavors, though contrasting, are perfect compliments. This jelly makes a great meat glaze, tastes wonderful with cream cheese on crackers, and is delicious on ice cream! And it is beautiful to behold with the red and green pieces of bell peppers and jalapenos suspended in the translucent jelly. At least it looked that way before I rubbed my eyes. Now I can barely see what I’m typing because my eyes are burning and watering…. Next time I’ll wear the gloves!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!