Saturday, October 20, 2012


tbh...(for non-millenials –to be honest)
Back in St. Petersburg, Florida I had forgotten to Be Prepared To Be Pleasantly Surprised, but I was… pleasantly surprised that is. My husband and I were at Target killing time (spending money) and getting necessities from a list he’d brought, to box up to send to himself in the Bahamas, before the kids got off work and brought the grand kids to their homes for us to visit. We already had the mouthwash in the cart. We were all the way in the back of the store in the Men’s Department looking for jeans and munching popcorn when a voice came over the store intercom announcing that a blue Dodge Journey with Georgia plates was in the parking lot with a door open. My husband was already heading toward the fitting room when I asked him if he’d heard that announcement. He said, “Huh?” He only caught the tail end of it and asked if it was our car. I told him I figured ours was probably the only blue Dodge Journey in the parking lot with Georgia tags. He then said, “Dang Skippy,” and handed me the keys with a guilty shake of his head. I took off for the front of the store leaving him with the cart. 
When we parked the car we opened three doors, mine, the passenger front, his, the driver side front, and the door behind the driver side to retrieve the list. He held up the keys and I pushed the lock button (this is a little ritual we do to avoid locking the keys in the car). I had left my Kindle Fire on the front seat and my husband had his and a bunch of important papers (including his passport) in a messenger bag in the backseat. Those were the two things I’d hoped hadn't gone missing. When I reached the car my door was closed (but not enough to lock) so it was obvious who left which door open, much to my surprise (and not the pleasant surprise either because I was sure my husband was the forgetful culprit in this caper). I took a quick peek to assess the car’s contents and saw that all was in fact just as we had left it. Even the stuff of obvious value left out in the obvious was undisturbed. That was the pleasant surprise that I had forgotten to be prepared for. Some other shopper had seen the car left open, looked but didn't take anything, closed my door, leaving it open a crack in case I’d left keys in it, and reported the situation to customer service. 
Relieved I returned to the store, stopping at customer service to say thank you, before heading back to the Men’s Department. I gave my husband thumbs up as he came out of the fitting room and I could see the relief on his face. The jeans were a good fit too.  When I told him nothing was taken from the car he said, “Whew! It was my door wasn't it?” That’s when I lied and said, “Yep, but all’s well that ends well.” I am feeling a little guilty about the lie but my husband also says he reads my blog and I will feel guiltier if he reads this and leaves a comment. That’s how I’ll know that he’s not lying! (And you faithful blog reader will too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!