Thursday, October 18, 2012


 Squash Old Breakfast Habits with Spaghetti Squash!

Yes, you are reading the title of this post correctly, spaghetti squash for breakfast! If you've ever eaten left over pizza for breakfast, (Who hasn't?) then perhaps you can relate.
First some background information: Wednesday nights are Spaghetti Nights at our house. No one has to ask, “What’s for dinner?” because basically it is a given and as long as your sinuses aren't acting up you can smell it when you walk in the door. There are occasional variations in the menu but they are generally pasta related, i.e. lasagna, chicken tetrazzini, homemade ravioli, stuffed shells, etc. One other thing that makes Wednesdays fun at our house is that you never know who will show up for dinner but that’s another story. But back to spaghetti squash…I was looking for gluten free and a less carb-y addition to the Wednesday night menu and I came across the idea of using spaghetti squash. I just cut it, take out the seeds, microwave it, and scrape out the stringy noodle like goodness and it’s done. I love it with butter and cheese, or spaghetti sauce with meatballs right out of the crock pot, or best yet with my favorite guilty pleasure, Mae Ploy’s Sweet Chilli Sauce. However it isn't the most popular dish on our menu (especially with the grandkids) no matter what I put on it. Maybe it is an acquired taste. That could be why there is usually left over spaghetti squash.
And that left over squash leads me to the purpose of this post! This morning (after copious amounts of coffee) I was searching in the fridge for something to jazz up my usual breakfast of one egg over easy and there it was, about three quarters of cup of leftover cooked spaghetti squash. My sister’s boyfriend suggested it might go well with breakfast at dinner last night when I was trying unsuccessfully to pawn off the last of the squash on him and I decided to give it a try.  As I was frying it up with some chopped onions, it almost looked a bit like hash browns. I filed that thought away under add some left over spaghetti squash to hash browns next time and wondered if it would taste like hash browns. Then I wondered if I had any shredded cheddar  because I love me some shred/ched on my hash browns (and I thought breakfast always tastes better with melted cheese on it anyway so why not put it on the squash), but alas there wasn't any in the fridge so today’s egg would have to be cheeseless. And it was, nestled nicely in a nest of perfectly browned onions and spaghetti squash topped with sea salt and pepper. I was going to take a picture but I didn't want to risk it getting cold while I dug around for my cell phone so I just ate it and it was delicious. Maybe I’ll post a picture next Thursday…

2 comments:

  1. At first I thought you were out of your "gourd" but then I realized your real purpose was to "squash" our misconceptions of what a healthy breakfast means. We either have to keep our "sunny side" up or "scramble" our thoughts a little and add some variation. Very good idea. I'm sure it will add another palatable portion to the morning victual sustenance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so funny! I know though that you love breakfast and it is the most important meal of the day!

      Delete

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!