Sunday, December 9, 2012


How does Wildlife Cross the Road?
Everyone knows the chicken crosses the road to get to the other side, but what about wildlife? They need safe passage across too because nothing causes panic in this driver’s heart like deer darting in front of my headlights on dark winter evenings. Ever notice those overgrown overpasses? I have in my travels south and back on I95 and I75. I have often wondered why most overpasses don’t have trees, shrubbery, and fences like some. It was pointed out to me on a recent ride back from West Palm Beach to St. Marys via I95 north that those vegetation filled overpasses are wildlife walkways that make it possible for all kinds of wildlife, like deer, panthers, and Florida black bear to safely cross the road. Apparently there are other ways, tunnels and concrete culverts that go under roads to help animals cross safely also. Those are less noticeable to me as a driver or a passenger but I am glad they are there. The wildlife underpasses and overpasses make it safer for the human animal (behind the wheel) and I guess the only one unhappy about less road kill would be the turkey vultures and black vultures. I guess they’ll just have to look for road kill away from the interstates where there are no wildlife passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!