Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Slow Reading

When I first read about this I automatically thought, slow reading as opposed to what, speed reading? But since I love to read I just read on and discovered I love the whole slow reading concept. It’s simple, slow reading is just at a minimum, 30 minutes of uninterrupted reading with a book or E-Book. By uninterrupted, the proponents of slow reading mean disconnected from smartphones and social media. No pings or other electronic notification noises interrupt your slow reading. I do this every day! The benefits slow readers reap include improving one’s ability to concentrate, reducing stress levels and deepening one’s ability to think, listen and empathize. For the elderly regular engagement in mentally challenging activities, including reading, slows rates of memory loss in later years and since I fit in the elderly category too slow reading is even more important. So it turns out that slow reading is pretty much just a resurgence of old school reading and it’s making a comeback like other vintage hobbies that are more time consuming like crocheting (my other favorite thing to do). Slow reading is a pleasant way to offset the faster pace of life we all seem so focused on these days. Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!