Monday, September 15, 2014

Can you be fat and fit?

This must have been a rhetorical question but I read the corresponding article yesterday anyway because I really wanted an answer. After reading all the way through and rereading once again in case I missed the answer, I must relate that the headline was a tease because the answer never appeared. Apparently grizzly bears have had their metabolism evaluated and they can be fat and fit. Fat and insulin (and insulin resistance and diabetes) are closely related and the grizzly can turn off the connection between them during hibernation and thus be fat and fit. Maybe researchers will figure out the triggering mechanism so I can eventually be a fat and fit couch potato (at least during football season-Go Bears!) in lieu of hibernation. The bottom line here is whether or not you can do the exercise or whatever it takes to achieve your personal definition of fit, you aren't truly fit if you’re fat. Dang it! I guess I’ll have to reevaluate those game day snacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!