Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Drive thru Funeral Homes

No you don’t place your order at this window but drive thru windows are a big part of our culture. I heard some people talking about a different kind of drive thru, one for drive thru funeral viewings this morning while I was doing my usual Tuesday volunteering so I figured I’d Google it when I got home. I had already heard that hearses with deceased passengers are allowed to use the carpool lane so I guess drive by viewings shouldn't have seemed so surprising. So I Googled and sure enough there is a growing trend toward outfitting funeral homes with drive by viewing windows. Yep, I wrote growing trend…these drive thru windows for viewing the deceased, last respect lanes so to speak, can be found on the west coast in Los Angeles, CA, in the Midwest in Michigan, in the south in Atlanta, GA and more recently even closer to home in Ocala, FL. The idea is to give people that might not actually want to go into the funeral home for whatever reason, be it a handicap, thanatophobia, or necrophobia, an opportunity to pay their respects and view the deceased, hence the drive thru window. As your vehicle passes over a sensor, the curtains at the drive by window open allowing the visitors 3 minutes to view the deceased. Some also have a drawer that opens like the ones at the bank so you can drop off a sympathy card, just don’t expect to get fries with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!