Thursday, August 14, 2014

Sweat could be more than just my fat crying…Sweat could charge my cell phone!

I know this is kind of a long title for me but sometimes I get excited about this sort of stuff. I had a hard time parting with my old solar powered cell phone for my current smart everything phone but true to my daughter’s prediction (once you get this new phone, your old one will be like a bad relationship…you’ll never want to go back there) I do love my phone, but I might love it even more if I could charge it while I work out. I think it would give new meaning to the words sweat equity! So here is the scoop, during strenuous activity, the body needs to generate more energy, so it activates a process called glycolysis. Glycolysis creates energy and lactate. Researchers imprinted a flexible lactate sensor onto tattoo paper. The sensor contains an enzyme that strips electrons from lactate, generating a weak electrical current, and this current can someday (in the near future, I hope) be used to charge my phone! Lately I have been sweating up a storm since I’m getting back into my fitness routine. Generally the more intense the exercise the more sweat and eventually the more lactate. The researchers did however find that the people that exercised most regularly produced the least power. They said this is probably because the less-fit people became tired sooner, causing glycolysis to kick in earlier, forming more lactate. I figure I shouldn't have a problem producing lactate like the regular exercisers, I am not that consistent but I do think it would be really great if my sweat could charge my cell phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!