Monday, August 4, 2014

Finding a Balance between Tech and No Tech

This green glass jug and an old water bath canner are the last two things in my possession left from my late father. Before I went on my sojourn (Summer’s Last Blast) I attempted to can some pear jam, not to be confused with Pearl Jam though I do like music while I work and oddly enough this computer wants to auto correct pear to pearl, as in Pearl Jam... Anyway to make a long story shorter, I put the water on, in my old trusty, slightly in a few places rusty, canning pot, blue with white speckles, and proceeded to peel pears, wash jars and lids in hot and soapy before sterilizing etc., etc., when suddenly there was on the stove top sparking, steaming, dripping, and leaking all at once and in no particular order. My Dad’s old canner had sprung a leak. After the mop up the pear jam ended up being refrigerator packed, not canned or preserved. The rest of the jars, the majority of them, dried and returned to the cabinet above the fridge. I related this sad series of events to my husband via SKYPE later that evening and went the next day on the grand grandkid adventure, Summer’s Last Blast. When I returned I found a very large box on my doorstep and in it was a brand spanking new water bath canner identical to the leaky one I’m planning to turn into a planter. Here in lies the tech side of this post since canning food is a no tech (and no brainer because I love to can) operation for me, all that remains to be considered is the tech side, SKYPE, online ordering and delivering of my new canning apparatus, and writing about it in this blog. So today for me, finding a balance between tech and no tech means after I finish this blog post and Google some sugar free or low sugar jalapeno pepper jelly recipes with this ol’ laptop, I’ll be putting my water bath canner to good use!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!