Monday, May 19, 2014

Commercializing Grief
So I was thinking about my late mother today when my sister sent me a text about burning some Brussels sprouts. I could in my mind’s ear here my mother shouting from the back of the house, “Jo must be cooking-something’s burning!”couldn't imagine that sentiment would sell many t-shirts. I was out mowing the yard this morning before the heat of the day hit and I noticed the tree my mother picked out (an Arizona blue something) for Christmas one year that we planted by her favorite yucca is dead on the top and I thought it will have to be topped. I hope it’s tough enough to keep on from there and even though taller than my mom by a long shot it if it survives topping it would surely remind me of her stature (short). These are some of the ways I remember my mom.

But more to the topic, I read about commercializing grief at the 9/11 memorial on MSN and people had a lot to say on both sides of the subject. Some felt the gift shop items emblazoned with pictures of the twin towers or just 9/11 are tactless. Others say they would buy an item to remember their trip and honor the memories of those who lost their lives. Since the memorial isn't funded like a national park or monument the souvenir sellers feel justified. I know I don’t need a cap or mug to remind me of that day. Just like so many mom-isms imprinted on my heart the strong emotion and shared grief from 9/11 remains with me and I suspect will always remain. Maybe there is some value in selling books and items that could inform the generations born after the tragedy but for the most part I think I fall on the anti-commercializing grief side of the argument.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!