Thursday, April 10, 2014

Wireless Electric Vehicle Charging

After reading about wireless electric car charging my mind immediately went to the Bahamas. Yep, I thought about a certain red golf cart there and how often it needs plugging in and how easy it is for the charging paraphernalia to grow legs. Sometimes it can be a wait to get a turn to plug in and then of course you have to wait for the cart to charge. I can imagine that this is an even bigger concern with an electric car since I’d have a different expectation for it, like the expectations I have for my gas powered car. I imagine the line and wait at the electric charge station would be longer than at the gas station too. Then I read about using a wireless charging station to charge electric vehicles. This technology isn’t new. It is already used for charging robotic vehicles and cranes in an industrial setting, so it seems logical to find a way to adapt this for charging electric cars. The system basically uses electromagnetic induction. Charging pads have power coils embedded in the ground. The driver drives onto and over this pad and the car and power coils magnetically link up. There are electric buses in the UK using this system and getting a 20 kilowatt charge in a regularly scheduled 10 minute stop. Interesting, especially with the price of gas these days, right now my second vehicle is a bicycle but I will definitely be thinking electric in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!