Thursday, April 24, 2014

Saving on Gas

So I’m giving driving my car a rest in hopes that the price of gas will go down. Instead I am using my other vehicle, my bicycle, to get around. Fortunately in St. Marys there are plenty of sidewalks and not much foot traffic. The sidewalk always seems like the safest place for me but I still hold that we need bike lanes or at least well marked alternative routes on and off the main drag (Highway 40) which has a good bit of automobile traffic. I saw several bicyclists sharing the road today and for the most part drivers were courteous, giving them plenty of room. I also found most drivers attentive as I crossed numerous intersections (in the crosswalks) from my house, the Navy Federal Credit Union, Walmart, and back, except for one lady in a van that was texting while driving. I got all my errands done in under two hours, a leisurely retiree pace including a stop at the Dollar Tree for new reading glasses ( I got 2 pairs, a red framed and a green) where I saw an old friend and took time for a little catch up chat. I smelled confederate jasmine growing along the roadside and saw the tide coming in as I crossed Dark Entry Creek. I scared a few vultures away from their armadillo roadkill feast but not for long as they were back at it again when I made my return trip. The sounds I enjoyed alternated between birdsong, car and truck engine noise, and the occasional squeaky protest of my bike’s suspension as I went over a bump or manhole cover. I do like riding my bike.

3 comments:

  1. And thanks to your efforts and those of the Camden Bicycle shop and St. Marys, a lot of progress is being made. It's a great stress reliever too. Thanks for sharing your ride. You don't have to be a "spokes" person to enjoy a bike ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's refreshing, its the "wheel" thing. Things go better with bike.

      Delete

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!