Friday, April 25, 2014

McD’s Getting Sued Again

This time it isn't over hot coffee spills, instead a disabled man and his service dog have a gripe against the super sized fast food giant. Robert Mingo, 52, who suffers from muscular dystrophy and a chronic back ailment, alleges that he encountered hostility and poor treatment during two separate visits to the McDonald's in August 2012 and May 2013. According his lawsuit, he was not allowed to eat in the in the designated dining area with his service dog and on another occasion refused service at the counter and drive thru. The employees and manager didn’t want to serve the disabled man with his dog at the counter and subsequently found the wheelchair inadequate as a drive thru vehicle. Mingo was then barred from the restaurant. Now Mingo is seeking unspecified damages and requirements that company employees be educated about the disabilities act. McD’s comments included that, “We do our best to provide a great customer experience to every customer.” In this case it seems like their best wasn't good enough. I have spent a good bit of time in McD’s using the free wifi when I visit St. Pete (no wifi at my home there) and have definitely noticed a shift in the demographics that frequent the fast food restaurant. The late night crowd and the early morning crowd are older (in my age category) and with the changes in decor, added flat screen TVs, and downsized play areas, it seems that McD’s is looking for a different vibe that might be more attractive to the more mature coffee drinking types. In my regular visits to the stores on 38th and 62nd Ave. North I have always been treated well (even though I only get a coffee and use the wifi) but I have never seen any disabled customers or service animals. I wonder how Mr. Mingo’s lawsuit will turn out. I’ll post an update here when I find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!