Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Listicles

The listicle (not to be confused with icicle or testicle) is my new word (new to me mostly) for the end of this year, or at least very close to the end. The listicle is a short-form of writing that uses a list as its thematic structure (aka list format articles) and I have actually written quite a few in this blog, unbeknownst to me at the actual time of writing. The truth is that I really like lists and I make them all the time for all kinds of purposes. I make grocery lists. I have a life list of every type of bird I've ever seen including where and when I spotted them. I make lots of lists about crocheted hats, the kinds I sell the most of and the hats people have ordered and I still need to make. I make lists of hats I’ve shipped with the dates and destinations. When I get ready to travel I make a list of things that I need to pack so I don’t forget the important stuff. Listicles are a little more than just a list however. Each item listed in a listicle comes with a brief description or summary, and although these don’t go in depth there is enough information for the reader to decide whether or not they want or need to know more, and of course with all the search engines out there the reader can. From 10 rookie mistakes to avoid at the gym to the 10 best island getaways for 2015, listicles abound. I figure I’ll keep reading and writing many more of them in 2015. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!