Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Why did the chicken wake up on the wrong side of the fence?

This is like the age old question about chickens crossing the road. And as I figure chickens really do cross the road for reasons unbeknownst to me, I may as well relate how my very own Extra Crispy woke up one morning on the wrong side of the fence and found herself unhappily separated from her flock-mates, Original Recipe and Peaches. My worry about her becoming a snack for the neighbors pit pooch (a good reason for the fence in the first place) or an owl (we have great horned ones roosting nearby too) was immediate when I went out at the crack of dawn I did my usual chicken count (yes, after they've hatched) and noticed her absence right away. Fortunately I did not discover a pile of feathered remains as Original Recipe and Peaches pointed the way, since birds of a feather do actually flock together (even when separated by a chicken wire fence) and I spotted the girl that flew the proverbial coop and landed on the wrong side of the fence right where my rabbit hutch abuts. Under the hutch huddled two concerned hens clucking out loud about their sister’s predicament and poor Extra Crispy clucking right along, seemingly oblivious. So with a handful of chicken feed and my own sister to run interference I ventured into the neighbor’s back yard. The pit pooch never made an appearance (but he gets along with my dog, Fred, so even if he had I was hopeful and prepared with a dog biscuit in my pocket anyway) and that was a good thing. Extra Crispy was an easy catch and quickly returned to the right side of the fence where she has happily awakened every day since.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!