Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Should Opening Day Be a National Holiday?
Oddly enough I find myself coming down on the same side as Budweiser on this subject. I just wonder why it took so long for someone to come up with this idea, after all baseball is our national pastime. If Opening Day was a holiday I wouldn't have had to skip school and hop the train from the suburbs to Wrigley Field all those years ago. Of course having your Grandpa Madigan as a co-conspirator brakeman for the commuter train helped a lot with the transportation issues. Skipping school for Opening Day worked pretty well for me until my senior year in high school when I found my English teacher sitting in the bleachers (with a Bud) in plain sight. All the more reason to make Opening Day a national holiday for today’s fans and all the kids (future fans) that play ball in the recreational and little leagues, and every kid that ever broke a window playing a pick-up game in any empty parking lot or side street.

Even though my cousin Chuck and the President are White Sox fans, maybe we can all get along on this and support the move to make Opening Day a national holiday for everyone (even a Cub’s fan like myself). With Budweiser’s lobbying nudge maybe it will happen. Opening Day, as a national holiday would be a great way to begin one of my favorite sport seasons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!