Sunday, June 9, 2013

Paraprosdokians 
The word paraprosdokians is unusual but you will recognize one when you see it. They are simply put old adages with a twist or unexpected ending. Some of my favorites come from the mouths of babes, as they did when Art Linkletter capitalized on Kids Say the Darnedest Things and more recently from some kindergartners I've known. A penny saved is a penny earned not much, comes to mind. Even the little ones know a penny doesn't go very far today. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush becomes A bird in the hand is better than a bird on your head because it’s easier to wash the poop off your hand. That one was directly related to holding baby chicks, something kids like a lot. Kid logic makes me smile.
My husband was talking with me (on SKYPE, as we frequently do) about swimming for exercise in the Bahamas. When he wondered whether or not he could keep up with the others there that swim regularly for exercise, I said, you never know until you try and he came back with for him it would be more like, you never know until you're in over your head! I replied, where there’s a will there’s a way, and he said, where there’s will there’s usually a dead guy! I am happy to say that he did swim with the group and survive after all but he wished he’d had his fins on because they would have made it easier to keep up.

I think there’s nothing like a little paraprosdokian humor to help keep things in perspective sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!