Monday, June 10, 2013

Macramé

Macramé, I taught myself how to do it years ago and have recently found myself revisiting it. So far it has been a little bit like riding a bicycle (a skill once mastered that muscle memory never lets you really forget), I was a little rusty but I can still do it! You Tube helped. I love a visual refresher and there are lots of videos that vary in complexity so if you are just starting out or if you have more advanced skills you can find how to videos there. The ones with the repetitive bird sounds and insects buzzing bugged me a bit but that’s what the mute button is for and macramé itself can be pretty repetitive. I found some very inexpensive cordage for my plant hangers and such at Heavenly Treasures, a resale place in St. Marys that Roger there was going to use for tying down stuff. Last Saturday I was working on a plant hanger at the Community Market in downtown St. Marys, and several people stopped by and mentioned that they also used to macramé too. I borrowed an idea from Andros Island, Bahamas’ basket makers and added some Androsia (beautiful batik fabric) instead of beads. You often see scraps of this colorful cloth woven into their baskets and I think it looks pretty good incorporated into a plant hanger. I expect to graduate to wall and window hangings from driftwood pieces with sea glass accents next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!