Saturday, June 8, 2013

My Boys of Summer

I am late posting this blog today but this is the topic that’s been on my mind. Even though I didn’t spend this year at school I still have the School’s Out! feeling and it’s a good one. I turned on my A/C too so there is no doubt about it, for me summer begins. The boys of summer I am referring to include my grandsons and the friends they've had over the years and the ones they make instantly at the pool or playground. My boys of summer are loving and sweet and sweaty and silly all at the same time and they are all thirteen and younger. They are completely unselfconscious pool ninjas when copying the moves of the youngest (just turned 5), yet are easily embarrassed in public by silly grandparents. They’re the ones that promise sincerely to stop the horseplay in the hotel pool and about every ten to fifteen minutes they promise sincerely again. They’re the ones that love to jump from bed to bed in the hotel room, since they know better than to do that at home. They’re the ones that offered up their allowance to pay for dinner at the diner. “I got this, Grandma,” said one and another with $2 offered it up to pay for 2 things from the dollar menu. They’re the ones that come racing home from the park on their bikes at dusk to be home before dark, yet as close to dark as they figure they can get away with. They’re the ones that are taking turns reading Ender’s Game, by Orson Scott Card, chapter by chapter so we can all go see the movie together (sort of-they will sit down front and I in the back) when it comes out. This is what my boys of summer are like and I am so glad I can still convince them that the book is better than the movie and that there is more to summer than video games.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!