Monday, February 16, 2015

Thundersnow

Here is an odd topic for me since I can now say I've lived in the south longer than I lived in the north where I may have had an opportunity to experience thundersnow storms. I have no recollection of it if there was one way back then. Now living in the south, I get excited if there is even a slight chance of flurries. There were a few flakes here this winter and no I’m not talking about visiting family either, I am talking about snowflakes. Thundersnow, however, is a completely different story. Thunder and snow together seems especially peculiar because when you've lived in and around the lightning capital of the USA (central FL) you come to associate thunder with hot (really hot) weather, not snow. But there you have it, thunder and snow can and does go together. Thundersnow is relatively rare but like regular thunderstorms with lightning, thunder, and rain, they occur when cold and warm fronts meet. Thundersnow storms, a winter time phenomena, generally occur where there is lake effect snow (think the Great Lakes area). I guess since I have no desire to drive in snowy conditions (like the ones associated with lake effect snow) it is unlikely that I will actually ever get to experience thundersnow. I figure I’ll just have to be content to watch it via video clip on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!