Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Diclofenac, Another DDT?

Diclofenac, a pain killer not a pesticide, found in the carcasses of scavenge cattle is a threat to Europe and Asia’s eagles much like DDT was to the eagles of North America. Scavenge cattle was the phrase that piqued my interest when I was scanning some reading material. So I looked them up and found that scavenge cattle are free ranging cattle (like my chickens I thought) and in actuality they’re the sacred cows of India. I don’t have it in me to eat my backyard chickens (though the eggs make tasty omelets) but I don’t consider them sacred either, more like pets. Back to India’s free range or scavenge cattle, Orthodox Hindus there would rather starve than eat them, so strong is their abhorrence of the idea of killing a sacred cow. (I’m thinking of googling McDonalds in India next) And they go to the extremes of seeing that the cows are fed regardless of their own personal food insecurity. I am figuring the same goes for the comfort levels of these sacred beasts as they have managed to ingest or be fed this pain killer that we don’t give our cattle (PETA may weigh in on this) called diclofenac. Vultures (in India almost completely wiped out) and perhaps soon to follow eagles and other birds of prey close genetically to the vultures are dying off because of the diclofenac in their food chain (scavenge cattle carcasses). Now the Vulture Conservation Foundation wants the diclofenac banned in Europe. It was registered for use in Spain and Italy in 2013. Officials are so far only willing to put a warning about its toxicity on the label. I hope they don’t have to learn the lesson there the DDT way. Eagles have sharp vision but even I know they aren't going to read the labels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!