Monday, July 21, 2014

Bahamian ‘Spider’ without a Web

Maggie, I thought of you (and all arachnophobes) when I started writing this. On my way into the laundry with a big, full basket of dirty laundry under one arm and a bottle of Tide in my other hand I was feeling grateful that the designers of the laundry room had the presence of mind to put in motion sensor lights that would pop on as I stepped in and they did. None of the three washers or dryers available to the residents of my husband’s block of concrete block houses (each set of CBHs have their own laundry set up) were in use so I had my pick of the newer water conserving washers or the last old faithful one, all top loaders. I was tossing in a couple of loads when I heard something, a non-mechanical clicking noise that gave me cause to look up. Much to my surprise perched near the ceiling by a high dryer vent was this laundry room ‘spider’ a Bahamian land crab and apparently I disturbed his daytime sleep by inadvertently turning on the lights. I knew that these guys could climb fences and I've seen them peeking out from behind flower pots and the rims drainage culverts before but this one caught me by surprise. I figure he’s too big to be fought off with a flip flop or a fly swatter too, so I just hope he’s still up there (in plain sight) when I go back to move the clothes from the washer to the dryer. Maybe I’ll take my husband’s trusty companion, Sailor, with me to be on the safe side, just in case…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!