Monday, August 26, 2013

Pollution and North Atlantic Hurricanes
There seems to be a connection between pollution and hurricanes. More pollution equals less hurricanes and less pollution equals more. All this is backed up by statistics over time. The pollution measured is aerosols and tighter control over them in the West could indicate that we will have a record number of tropical storms for the next two decades. After the next couple of stormy decades the good news predicted is that eventually global warming should warm the air enough to reduce the temperature difference between air and sea, (the main ingredient for tropical storm action) and make these kinds of storms even less common. This puts a whole new spin (clockwise or counter-clockwise) on the weather events that are happening on our earth.

These thoughts were on my mind as I relaxed floating aimlessly on my back amidst the gentle waves at the beach Sunday afternoon and watched the clouds gather and skirt around the island in a counter-clockwise direction. Upon my return to my trusty computer I looked to Google to confirm that tropical cyclones (hurricanes) in the northern hemisphere spin clockwise (the opposite of my observation)...wait a minute, clockwise when observed from above, via satellite imagery, I figured. And those clouds I mentioned? They provided a nice little shower while we were eating dinner in doors, conveniently providing a brief respite from the humidity for our after dinner walk. And those two decades of tropical storms? We'll see, in the meantime I plan to enjoy each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!