Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A Snake Slithered Over my Foot!
All the snakes that call the Bahamas their home are harmless and relatively docile since there aren't many predators higher on their food chain than them. They are harmless, that is, unless you are a rat. I felt better after reading this since a snake slithered over my foot last night as we were walking home from the movie. The movie was Scary Movie 5, proof that we are obviously at the nether reaches for current releases and the snake and my reaction to it crawling over my flip flopped foot was about as funny as the movie which was pretty funny actually.
The Bahamas has 5 different kinds of snakes with the Bahamian Boa Constrictor being the largest (up to 8 feet in length and 5 inches thick). The photo I am including with this post is of one that was seeking shelter in the back of a golf cart here during heavy rains. The other four types of snakes native to the Bahamas are much smaller (much more likely to be one of the types that squirmed over my foot in the dark too) and include the brown racer, pygmy boa, thread snake, and blind snake. I figure if it really was a snake that went slipping over my foot it was probably one of the last two because both are very small, no bigger than 30 centimeters (about a foot) long. According to the Bahamas National Trust website there are some other snake possibilities that may have been accidentally introduced and if you come across one (or one crosses over your foot) they should be removed since they pose a threat to the endemic species by competing for the same food supply.

Maybe it was a wet blade of grass that slapped at the top of my foot last night. I hope that's all it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!