Thursday, August 29, 2013

Insomnia
In other news I read about the millions of people (9 million estimated) who use sleeping pills to fight against insomnia. I actually saw this on line and in my favorite print media, the newspaper. I figured it blog worthy because I have been keeping a journal that includes my sleep habits along with food intake and amount of daily exercise because at my last doctor visit I was asked about whether or not I was getting enough sleep and I really didn't have a good handle on that. Keeping track has helped me considerably and I have found that I am not in the majority of people, white, female, educated, and over 50, that have needed to resort to the use of sleeping pills even though I am white, female, educated, and over 50. I actually sleep pretty well most nights despite being a full on participant in some of the possible factors that researchers think are causing a rise in the prevalence of sleep disorders like, obesity, social media and other late night distractions, and financial worries from the recent recession. The study on sleeping pill usage done by the CDC found that prescription use increases with age and I admit that this has been true for me but not in the area of sleeping pills. Chronic insomnia has also been linked to diabetes, depression, obesity, and heart disease. Some things like obesity and depression can interestingly enough be either the cause or effect in a sleep-lack of sleep vicious circle. Keeping notes about my sleep habits in a journal has helped me identify factors related to my own sleeping pattern. I am just relieved that knocking out caffeine after lunch and getting my exercise routine finished before 8 PM has been helpful enough for me and makes a marked difference in my ability to fall asleep and get the recommended 7 to 9 hours each night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!