Friday, April 10, 2015

Second Place in the my Age Group for the Men’s Division of a 5K

Just when I get used to being recognized as a woman, albeit with almost a man’s first name-Jo, middle initial E, once again I was mistaken for a man and declared the second place age winner for men in a 5K I ran a couple of weeks ago. I had left as soon as I finished, before the race results were announced, to go to the local Peter Cottontail Express, yet I’m sure I put an X in the blank for female on my race application. Over the years I have found with a name like mine mistakes happen. I received plenty of mail and phone inquiries for Mr. Jo E. Mount. Once when I went to Armstrong University in Savannah to interview for an adjunct professor position, I was asked with eyebrows raised in surprise, “You’re Jo E. Mount?” After the confusion was cleared the interview went on and I did get the job. Nevertheless, as I recounted the story about coming in second in the male age category in my most recent 5K to different people the reactions varied. A female friend of mine of a similar age at the pharmacy was quite happy to hear I’d beat the men in a race and heaped on words of encouragement even when I told her my husband let them know about the mistake and I lost my title. Still it gave me a good feeling to know another woman supported my effort. Men chuckled at my retelling, especially when I mentioned my daughter made hints to my husband about how others might wonder about whether he had a  wife or perhaps more politically correct, a partner since he got third place. Love has no gender bias but either way I am running another 5K tomorrow and whether or not I improve my time or place in my age category I’m looking forward to showing my support for another good cause (this time Autism Awareness-CASA the time before) and just running for the sheer joy of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!