Monday, July 29, 2013

Tongue of the Ocean
The Tongue of the Ocean is the name of a deep oceanic trench in the Bahamas separating the islands of Andros and New Providence. It is a U-shaped, relatively flat-bottomed trench approximately 20 miles wide by 150 miles long and as deep as 6,600 feet in one end. Its only open to the rest of the ocean at the northern end, and except for this ocean opening, the tongue of the ocean is surrounded by relatively shallow waters filled with numerous islands, reefs, and shoals which make a peripheral shelter isolating it from ocean disturbances, particularly high ambient noise. The noise part (lack of ambient noise) makes it a good place for underwater acoustic testing and the deep water makes it a good place for weapons testing, both of which are set up and supported from a small facility on Andros, Island called AUTEC, Atlantic Undersea Test and Evaluation Center.

While others work here to support the mission, I find this a lovely place to come and enjoy as a visitor and others do too. And as a visitor I was at the tennis courts by the playground with my grandson Brody and his Mom when I heard a familiar sound, a child’s voice calling my name. The voice belonged to a former student, she also called me her science teacher and remarked about an experiment we did on hot and cold air long ago, along with expressing back to school jitters concerning her upcoming entrance to fourth grade. I told her not to worry because I figure she will be fine, and to make sure she tells her teacher, probably one of my former coworkers, that she saw me in the Bahamas!

1 comment:

  1. As Walt Disney would put it, it's a small world after all!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!